Where Homemakin, Homeschoolin, Home Cookin, Sweet Tea, Babies, & Jesus are a part of life.

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Have we Forgotten?


Deuteronomy 6:6-9, 18

6  And these words, which I command thee this day, shall be in thine heart:
7  And thou shalt teach them diligently to thy children, and shalt talk of them when thou sittest in thine house, and when thou walkest by the way, and when thy liest down, and when thy risest up.
8  And thou shalt bind them for a sign upon thine hand, and they shall be as frontlets between thine eyes.
9  And thou shalt write them upon the posts of thy house, and on thy gates.


18  And thou shalt do that which is right and good in the sight of the Lord: that it may be well with thee, and that thou mayest go in and possess the good land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers,


I wasn't raised seeing or reading the Ten Commandments. I wish I would have been. Maybe my life would have been filled with more blessings and less sin. Can I blame my parents? Yes and no. I believe that it goes back even further from them. Sometime, somewhere along the way, my ancestors stopped teaching their children God's law and with that came sin and destruction of the family.

And by looking at our society, it's obvious that it wasn't only my ancestors that failed to heed the above instructions.

The Bible tells us that to be doers of the word, not hearers only, lest we deceive ourselves. James 1:22 The Word of God says this for a reason.

God gave us rules to live by, rules that He knew would lead to us enjoying our life to the fullest and yet so many ignore this, and even more are completely ignorant to His instructions. I can't count how many people I have come across that don't even have a Bible. This is sad indeed.

My 11, almost 12 year old daughter looks around while we're out and see's her peers walking down the street looking like miserable, slunched over oddly colored birds, seemingly walking in defeat as they cling to their cell phones. She stares on in awe as to how this can be. I do the same, yet I know all too well the 'why' to that question. My own personal experience with the world has shown me its ugly face up close and personal. I have lost much because of my choice to walk away from it.

Somewhere along the way, many someone's told God they didn't need Him or His law, and our perfect Creator bowed His glorious head and gave them over to themselves, allowing them to live as they wish. Romans 1:28 What those someone's didn't grasp is that in the end it would only lead to spiritual death in themselves and their families. In a sense, they would become zombies. The walking dead. Look around you. They're everywhere and it's sad indeed.

So what can we, as Bible believers do? We're not superhuman. We can't save the whole world nor do most want to be saved. I do believe however, that we can make a difference in whatever lives the Lord puts in our paths. We must pray and follow the Lord's instructions in our own families first and foremost. We must teach our children and carry God's law in our own hearts. We must talk about them. We must place it on our house posts and gates for all to see. This was not a suggestion. This is what we were told to do. So why have those who known this stopped? This I wonder. Have we forgotten?

We have a neighbor on our street that has the Ten Commandments on his gate on the side of his house in the front. Upon first seeing this years ago I hadn't yet read the part of the Bible where God tells us to do this. All I knew was that he and his family believed in God and that if my family ever needed anything I would feel comfortable seeking his help.

 What a testimony!

That man's willingness to do what God told Him to do taught me. It ministered quietly to my husband and I as we would pass his copy of the Ten Commandments on our way home. It is our plan to do the same.

Wouldn't it be a beautiful thing if all Bible believers got together and did the same thing as well?

1 comment:

  1. Great post, mom! And "miserable, slunched over oddly colored birds, seemingly walking in defeat as they cling to their cell phones." Was a very nice way to put that! <3

    ~Sunshine~

    ReplyDelete