Where Homemakin, Homeschoolin, Home Cookin, Sweet Tea, Babies, & Jesus are a part of life.

Sunday, December 29, 2013

How our family takes Raw Garlic, a natural Antibiotic.

 
With the recent success our family has had kicking sickesses where it hurts with raw garlic, I have had many mama's asking me exactly how I give it to my family.
 
 I didn't  know how to take it either when I started. It was kind of a trial by error thing. I knew you could take it with honey but that was the end of my knowledge.
 
Today I'm writing this post to share with others how our family takes garlic. :)
 
Here are a couple things you need to know.
 
1. Do not take raw garlic on an empty stomach.
(It's best to take it after you eat something)
(You can and I have but I don't advise it. Your stomach won't feel good at all. I did this and actually thought I might throw up. O.O Not a happy moment from me.)
2. Follow taking garlic with some sort of milk chaser.
(This will ease your tummy)
3. Mixing with honey really does help it go down.
(however, I don't take it with honey since it's sugar)
4. Do this at least 3 times a day (if not 4 times) if you are already sick. Continue to do this for at least 3 days. The garlic will alleviate your symptoms before the sickness is totally gone. Think about an antibiotic the Dr gives you. The pharmacist tells you to take all 10 days worth no matter how great you may feel on day 5. Garlic will need some time to kill the illness. In my experience it still didn't take as long as Dr. prescribed antibiotics.
 
The next picture will show you my set up.
 

 
1. Chop a clove or two of garlic per person, finely.
 (When I'm fighting something I use one large clove for me or two regular size ones. You can see in the top picture how much I cut for 4 of my 5 daughters, my hubby and I) The finer you cut it, the easier it is to take. Plus it helps the allicin come out. My barely two year old daughter takes it happily.
2. Set a timer for 10 minutes so that the garlic can release the allicin. That is what helps you from what I've read.
3. Make a milk chaser while you wait. You can either take just plain milk or if you're really interested in kicking something you can do what I do and make a turmeric milk chaser. (Ingredients: milk, (I use unsweeneted almond milk for me) organic turmeric, pure white stevia, and cinnamon. Just add some of each. The turmeric is great for you and this drink tastes great. my girls love it!
4. Get a bowl and your honey ready.
5. When the 10 minutes are up, mx your garlic with some honey (local, raw is best but you can use whatever honey you want)
6. Open up and swallow. (You can chew it, but I wouldn't suggest that either. I did the whole, 'put a garlic clove in your mouth, bite down and extract juices' thing and I wasn't too fond of it. Maybe I'm a wiener but it burned my mouth bad.)
 
Like I said earlier, I don't take mine with honey since I don't want the sugar. I just put mine in my mouth and take it with my turmeric milk. It's way easier than I would have thought. :)
 
You can google the benefits of raw garlic. It's incredible!  There are some sicknesses that aren't responding to antibiotics and yet garlic is proven to kick them. I have witnessed its power as its healed my family this year and it has helped me not catch what my littles had. I even make a garlic rub for the baby. The garlic has allowed them to break up and expel the build up of mucus from their sicknesses. I really can't say enough good things about it.
 
*One last note* I did read somewhere that it's best to use the raw garlic within 24 hours since it's most potent then. I typically cut enough for a day at a time. Garlic rub for a baby can last one week in the fridge.
 
P.S. I am not a doctor, I'm just a mama sharing what has worked for my family. :)

2 comments:

  1. I just discovered your blog, and love it. I have 5 kids also, 4 boys, 1 girl. Do you take garlic daily? Do you buy in bulk? Organic? Peeled? I can't stand peeling garlic. Thanx for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Andi :)
    I too don't like peeling garlic. It's a pain!! lol But, I have found that the benefits of it well out way the annoyance of it.(and I've chopped A LOT O.O lol)

    I do not take garlic daily. I would lose my mind I think. Lol At the first complaint from someone in my family of a scratchy throat or I hear someone coughing I begin.(at least I have tried to) The sooner you begin taking it when someone is getting sick, the faster garlic will kill the cold or whatever it is. If we give it a few days, then the sickness has had time to really dig in there and it will take a little longer than it would have if we would have started at the first sign that someone wasn't feeling well. I have done it both ways. Once we were busy and out and about which made it impossible for me to chop garlic. I began chopping when I could and it did heal them. It just took a little bit longer.

    I do not buy in bulk, although that would probably be smart if I did! hahaha I just this year learned about garlic and began using it. With this being said, hubby has made many impromptu trips to our local grocery store for me. ;) Since I was learning, that included learning how much garlic my crew would take daily. It was all really trial by error.

    I do not buy organic. I buy what I can organic but with garlic prices I can't afford it. The non-organic here is selling for 3 for $1. The organic is almost 3 times that amount and with as much as I'm giving that would be crazy pricey. If you can afford it, I believe organic is the best and I would buy it if I could. I know some would say that organic garlic is cheaper than 5 doctors visits and that would be true. What I do is buy non-organic and pray, which is exactly what I do every time I prepare dinner for my family using non-organic, non-free range and non grass fed animals. I call out to God and ask for His protection. After all, He is my provider and He hasn't decided to provide me with those things just yet. One day I plan on growing my own garlic. That would be optimal for me. From what I've read it doesn't take much space to grow and is relatively easy. :)

    I do not buy it already peeled. You will want garlic in it's rawest form. From what I read while researching garlic and its antibiotic properties, it's at its most powerful state within 24 hours of you peeling it. For mama's like you and I who think peeling garlic is a huge pain, that info isn't all that welcoming. Hence me not taking it everyday. ;) My hubby just asked me if I should give it to the girls a couple days in a row before church and then a few days after as a preventive. I looked at him like he had lost his mind. He CLEARLY hasn't cut as much garlic as I have. O.O lol

    Here's what you'll want to do to get the most our of your garlic. 1. Buy it whole from the store. 2. In the morning after breakfast take a whole garlic and remove the cloves. Peel and clean up your garlic mess, making your work space clear. 3. See how many cloves you will need for the amt. of people you're giving it to and put the others in a plastic baggie or container in your fridge. (you will use these later that day and if you have enough, the next day too) 4. Now its time to chop. Chop... chop.. chop... and chop. I use my Santuko (I think that's how you spell it) knife. It makes it bearable. The more you chop you will see it releasing juices. Let the garlic sit for 10 minutes. This is when it will release the allicin. When the 10 min. is up, your garlic is ready to take.

    If you have any more questions, feel free to ask. You can totally take this often and as a preventive. More power to you if you pull that off. I would have nightmares about garlic, I think. hahaha

    Have a happy Friday mama, and again, nice to meet you. :)

    Kristy

    ReplyDelete