Where Homemakin, Homeschoolin, Home Cookin, Sweet Tea, Babies, & Jesus are a part of life.

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Should Christians put up a Christmas Tree?


From the above picture I am going to assume you know what I do beings those are three of my girls putting up my tree. LOL

Once upon a time, I didn't think twice about having a Christmas tree. It was what everyone I knew did and then I found out how pagans worshipped trees and shortly thereafter I met some Christians who didn't celebrate Christmas and surely didn't put up a tree.

After talking and praying about it, my husband and I decided that we would still celebrate Christmas in remembrance of whenever our Savior was really born and we would continue to put up our tree.


So here's why...

We do not worship the tree, never have and never would. It is nothing but a fun decoration. I am a creative spirit and I decorate for every season. I would have a tree up other seasons and decorate it. Maybe not as big as this one, but I totally would.

We still celebrate Christmas because we enjoy it. Our children know the truth about the season including its myths and we're all happy with that. Jesus Himself told us not to let any man judge us as to what days we focus solely on Him and that would include December 25 or 26 or 27. You get the picture.



So now I bet you're wondering if these pictures are this year and the answer is yes.

Think I'm crazy? LOL

Every year in November on my husbands birthday we put up our tree and lights.

It is our little family tradition to decorate the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving night after all of the dishes are done. After a couple of years of putting up the tree, doing the lights that night and then decorating, I decided something had to change. I was way too tired to do that again. Especially on a day I spend on my feet cooking a big meal. The next year we put up the tree and lights in advance and boy was I happy when Thanksgiving came and all I had to do was help decorate! I could rest and enjoy the time with my family. Now, it wasn't work anymore. It was fun!


Of course there are some of us (all my girls) who think that putting the tree up is just the most wonderful thing ever. Clearly they have never put lights on a tree. O.O LOL


And then there are those too little to do much. They tend to find other things to do like try to eat their sisters Magnadoodle pen when Mama isn't looking. O.O Uh oh, busted.



And then there's the wee one who is just content at that moment to be being held by Daddy.



Tis the season to be jolly... fa la la la la, la la la la

1 comment:

  1. The girls are so cute and look so happy and excited! I LOOVVE this time of year!! We went through the same thoughts and praying about the tree a couple of years ago. We personally dont do a tree anymore. We DO celebreate Christmas, we just basically changed the way we celebrate. I enjoy decorating too, but when I reaized we only put a tree up because "That's what you do" on Christmas (usually for Santa's goodies to go under) we just decided we didn't want to celebrate in the way "everyone else does". Not because we want to be better than anyone or to "stand out", but because we basically felt like a tree and opening gifts didn't have anyhing to do with what we were claiming to celebrate.
    I'm totally allllll for how ANYONE chooses to celebrate! I never look down on anyones decision to celebrate how they want. I wouldn't tell anyone they were right or wrong either, since most have prayed about it and have their own convictions.
    We basically come up with ways as a family that we want to "celebrate" his birth and we do it. :) Lots of fun and one of my favorite times of year!!!!

    By the way, everytime I come to your blog, your header pops up and I'm INSTANTLY HUNGRY! I want a hot drink and a delish dessert!
    Blessings to your family!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete